Kansas Employer Water Utility Worker - 618 - Water Distribution in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12754425
Distinguishing Features of Work:
This is skilled field work involving the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains, hydrants and valves. This employee performs specialized work requiring skill normally acquired only in a water service crew. Generally this employee leads a small crew of semiskilled and unskilled workers on water main, hydrant, pipe and service installation and repair. The employee is usually subject to little immediate supervision. Work is assigned and inspected by a General Supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains and services.
- Supervises and assists crews engaged in making pavement cuts, digging out mains, cutting and laying mains and back-filling trenches.
- Repairs hydrants and valves.
- Installs water meters and raises or lowers meter boxes.
- Operates jack hammers, push jacks and related tools.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Considerable knowledge of methods, practices, materials and tools used in pipe, main, service and meter installation and repair.
- Knowledge of water distribution system including mains, hydrants and meters.
- Skill in the use of tools used in all phases of work.
- Ability to troubleshoot including testing for inoperative meters and leaks.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions are present.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to lift and carry 300 pounds with the assistance of another person.
- Ability to exert up to 100 pounds of pressure using tools that tighten, loosen, or cut.
- Ability to safely and effectively swing a 20 pound sledge hammer against brick, concrete, or similarly hard surfaces, and to use to jackhammer.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with traffic and machine exhaust, open grounds, and construction.
- Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of ear plugs.
- Willingness to work under conditions that are sometimes unpleasant, where safety equipment must be worn and safety procedures followed.
- Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk, about (up to half a mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, representatives of outside agencies, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to complete training in trenching and shoring, and confined space work
- A valid Kansas class A commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement is required at hire.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
One year of experience in operation of construction/utility vehicles or heavy equipment.
One year of experience in performing work related to the maintenance or installation of water mains or services.
A valid Kansas Class A commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement is required.
Completion of training in trenching and shoring and confined space work preferred.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.