Kansas Employer Tree Maintenances Worker II - Forestry in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12754415
Distinguishing Features of Work:
This is skilled supervisory work in the care and maintenance of trees along street rights-of-way, in City parks, and on other City properties. This employee is responsible for supervising and participating in work connected with the replacement, care, and removal of trees. Work includes planning and establishing safeguards for employees and the public. Supervision is exercised over a small crew of skilled and unskilled employees. Assignments are received from a supervisor and work is performed under general direction.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Participates in the planting, pruning, spraying, and removal of trees.
- Climbs trees using rope and saddle to heights up to 80 ft. above the ground from the ground.
- Operates a bucket truck in tree operations.
- Provides recommendations for improvements in the tree maintenance program.
- Identifies hazardous trees, reports and directs or performs removal of difficult trees.
- Performs maintenance and corrective pruning of trees and assists in job site cleanup, including raking, sweeping, chipping brush and loading debris and logs on trucks.
- Operates tree-related equipment trucks, chippers, log splitters and stump grinders and other related equipment.
- Maintains tree care-related equipment and tools.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Considerable knowledge of tree trimming, treatment, and removal methods and techniques
- Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions and ANZI Z133 standards
- Considerable knowledge of use and maintenance of tools and equipment used in tree work.
- Ability to start, operate, stop, and carry chainsaws weighing up to 22 lbs. at heights of up to 80 ft. above the ground while positioned at a variety of angles and positions while working in a rope and saddle
- Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of ear plugs or other hearing protection
- Ability to lift 100% of body weight in order to climb trees as the job requires
- Ability to place a rope inch in diameter 30 ft. above ground in a tree and then foot lock and body thrust into the tree
- Ability to operate a 26\" hand saw
- Ability to bend, squat, and twist as required to shovel soil from up to three feet below ground level
- Ability to swing an ax accurately and effectively to chop at ground level
- Ability to drag, pull, and carry up to 40 pounds of bulky tree debris as far as 50 feet and load same, up to heights of eight feet, using an ensilage or pitch fork
- Ability to lift logs weighing up to 150 pounds with assistance of another worker
- Ability to rake and sweep work site using lawn rake and push broom
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions are present, including after-hour emergencies.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Possession of a valid Kansas Class B Commercial Driver\'s License (CDL) with air brake endorsement
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Two years of experience in tree maintenance work.
Extensive experience in climbing trees with rope and saddle.
A valid Kansas Class B Commercial Driver\'s License (CDL) with air brake endorsement
Must be legally authorized to work in the United Sta tes without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.