Kansas Employer Tree Maintenances Supervisor - Forestry in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12754414
Distinguishing Features of Work:
This is specialized work supervising and inspecting the care of trees along City streets and the City park system. Work emphasis is on the inspection of private utility tree crews engaged in removing tree obstructions of high wires or on park tree care activities. Work requires the application of tree care skills and involves some danger in connection with tree climbing work and working around high tension lines. Assignments are received orally or in writing from a technical supervisor who makes frequent inspections and gives advice, however the employee usually develops his/her own work methods and proceeds independently on regular assignments.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Organizes, assigns and directs the work of a crew of tree maintenance workers in planting, pruning, shaping, spraying and removing trees.
- Instructs employees in safe work methods and takes necessary safeguards and precautions for preventing injuries to employees and the public.
- Inspects work of private utility company tree crews to ensure that proper methods are used and that trees are not damaged.
- Performs difficult tree work in climbing, shaping and pruning trees around high tension electric lines and rigging or removing dangerous trees.
- Supervises semiskilled workers in balling evergreens, watering trees and performing routine tree care tasks.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Considerable knowledge of the standard methods and practices used in climbing, shaping and caring for shade trees.
- Knowledge of tree diseases, insects, and methods of tree surgery.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work, particularly of the dangers of working around high voltage electric lines and methods necessary to safeguard workers under his/her supervision.
- Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of ear plugs or other hearing protection
- Ability to organize, assign and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to climb trees and to work safely and effectively at varying heights.
- Ability to use saws, pole shears, axes, sledgehammers, wedges, stump pullers, trucks, winches, hoists, derricks, power sprayers and other tools and equipment used in forestry work.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of outside agencies, City officials, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license (CDL).
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Three years of experience in performing tree maintenance activities.
A valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license (CDL) is required within six month of hire.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.