Kansas Employer Sewer Maintenance Laborer (M) - 616 (Multiple Positions) in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753145
Distinguishing Features of Work:
About the Sewer Maintenance Division:
Sewer Maintenance ensures safe and efficient transport of wastewater through over 2,000 miles of collection mains and 60+ lift stations for processing at five treatment plants. The inspection, cleaning and repair of the wastewater collection system is paramount in maintaining Wichitas critical infrastructure.
Provide safe and efficient transport of wastewater, protect the natural and human health environment, maintain compliance with federal regulations, and maximize the life and value of the wastewater collection systems.
What we are looking for:
Looking for individuals who take pride in their work. Seeking individuals to join a team that is dedicated to providing excellent service. Are you ready to be part of an organization that will help you achieve your career goals? Are you ready to see what your work can accomplish for the community?
Manual work in the construction and maintenance of the City of Wichitas critical infrastructure. Gain experience using a variety of equipment performing duties under direct supervision. Opportunity for training and growth while taking advantage of the Citys great benefits. Join a team that cares about their city and each other.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assists in preparing asphalt, concrete, and other street repair materials; does manual work in the building and repair of roads, culverts and bridges; does related tasks in the maintenance and construction of public facilities.
- Flushes and rods sanitary sewer lines, assists in repairing and replacing manholes and catch basin lids, and does related sewer cleaning and maintenance work.
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, timber, leaves, and similar items.
- Assists skilled and semiskilled workers in varied building maintenance and repair activities.
- Assists in snow and ice removal operations.
- Sweeps and cleans streets and gutters, collects and loads refuse into a truck or movable can.
- Trims and waters lawns, trims shrubs and trees, spades, rakes, and otherwise prepares ground and assists in related ground maintenance work.
- Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Ability to acquire within a reasonable period of time, knowledge of the procedures, tools, equipment and materials used in maintenance work.
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions exist.
- Ability to shovel, snow, sand, gravel, asphalt, to or from dump truck bed.
- Ability to tolerate airborne nuisances associated with open grounds, pavement construction, and windy conditions.
- Ability to safely and effectively swing a 20 pound sledgehammer against brick, concrete, or similar substances.
- Ability to lift and carry bulky items weighing up to 90 pounds independently; to lift and carry up to 150 pounds with the assistance of another; and to pull, shove, or otherwise maneuver items weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate a jackhammer and a chain saw.
- Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk about (up to a half mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift.
- Ability to safely wear respirator for supplied air while entering confined spaces.
- Ability to communicate and to follow simple oral or w itten instructions.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement within 120 days of start date.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
- This position will require working outdoors in inclement weather including but not limited to, rain, snow, ice, sleet, heat, and humidity plus snow and ice removal and/or emergency response operations that may include operating equipment and vehicles on overnight shifts, weekends and in low-light and low visibility conditions, or other adverse weather conditions.
Required Experience and Training:
Must be 18 years of age or older
A valid Kansas Drivers License at the time of hire is required.
Must be able to obtain a valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license with airbrakes and tankers endorsements within the first 120 days of employment.
Experience in utility operations is preferred.
Offers of employment