UKSM-W Medical Practice Association Medical Assistant (CHC Internal Medicine) in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12761606
To provide quality service to medical providers and patients in a customer service oriented environment. The medical assistant is responsible for rooming patients after arrival for their scheduled appointments. Will assist the nursing staff and providers during examinations, and assist with any notations in the charts. Will assist medical staff with other medical procedures when necessary, and assist patients with medication issues. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, and administering medications as directed by physician.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Record patients\' medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians\' instructions to patients.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections or removing sutures.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Change dressings on wounds, remove staples or sutures.
- Perform general office duties such as answering telephones, prioritizing phone messages, pharmacy calls, and phone triage.
- Inventory and order medical, lab, or office supplies and equipment.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Operate x-ray, electrocardiogram (EKG), and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Monitors and tracks controls on point of care machines and test kits.
- Monitors all records for medical and pharmacy students.
- Administers immunizations and therapeutic injections as directed.
- Reviews immunization history and inputs into data into RX Preceptor and VSAS systems.
- Responsible for tracking patient follow ups for procedures by entering patient reminders.
- Responsible for scheduling patient procedures and educating on pre-procedure instructions.
- Responsible for keeping pre and post written procedure instructions up to date.
- Responsible for tracking and pulling all hospital procedure/pathology reports weekly for physician review.
- Provide and document activities related to post-visit navigation, chronic care management, and population health management duties, as assigned.
- Assists with special clinics and initiatives such as flu or COVID vaccination clinics, student health clinic, and/or KUMC specialty clinics as assigned.
- Participates in clinic process improvement activities and team meetings to ensure efficient operations.
- Assists with covering other IM & GI Medical Assistants absences as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education:High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience:One to two years related experience
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Experience with Electronic Medical Records is preferred. Perform clinical duties while documenting outcomes on computer/tablet. Microsoft office experience a plus
Certificates & Licenses
Current Certification in Medical Assisting required
Understand and follow all Universal Precaution Operating Procedures. Understand and follow all HIPAA guidelines and procedures. Confidentiality of all data, including PHI, A4 Software, billing information and operations data. Assist with various administrative tasks to support department operations as directed; may also be assigned special projects. Additional duties as required by the Clinic Manager. Maintain proficient knowledge of organizational emergency procedures.