Kansas Employer Fire Recruit in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753033
Distinguishing Features of Work:
The following posting is for Fire Recruit position with the Wichita Fire Department which may be filled in the future. Starting pay is currently \$21.1033 per hour.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are selected for interview, the process will include an oral interview, and a physical/running component. To participate in the interview, a physicians release will be required to be obtained prior to the interview. The Fire Department will provide the appropriate form with the interview invitation.
This work involves training under close supervision for the protection of life and property by fire fighting and rescue activities. A major portion of time is spent training and studying methods, techniques, and organization, as well as routine duties in the maintenance of department property and equipment. Specific orders and directions are given by supervising officer.
This is a safety-sensitive position that requires a more extensive background check. You will be asked for personal information in this application that will remain confidential in HR until candidates are selected to move forward and will then be used to conduct the background check process.
Your application will be active for 1-year from the date of original application. Once your application expires, you will be notified. You may re-apply at that time. The interview process for a Fire Recruit is a lengthy process and will take time. You will receive communication by email and/or text throughout the process.
Examples of Work Performed:
Must successfully complete training in the following areas:
- Responding to alarms with a fire company.
- Entering burning buildings with hose lines.
- Operating nozzles and directing water on the fire.
- Operating hand fire extinguishers.
- Raising, lowering and climbing ladders and ventilating burning buildings.
- Removing victims from danger and administering emergency care to injured persons.
- Performing salvage operations.
- Driving and operating emergency equipment.
- Performing routine housekeeping duties at a fire station.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
An All Hazards fire department represents every level of a hazard response whether it is trench rescue, hazardous materials, confined space, building collapse, rope rescue, fire extinguishment, EMS, dive rescue, swift water and vehicle extrication.
This work will require the employee to maintain physical fitness at all times. Daily physical fitness routines will include stretching; 1.5 mile run; push-ups; sit-ups,; pull-ups; planks; squats; and burpees.
This position will require the employee to have the:
- Ability to understand and to follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to read and understand departmental material and to learn a variety of fire fighting duties and methods within a reasonable period.
- Ability to successfully complete required training.
- Ability to drive apparatus according to state and local regulations governing operation of emergency vehicles.
- Ability to discriminate between colors in observing fire and smoke conditions.
- Ability to cooperate with other workers, to accept lines of authority, and to maintain courteous relationships with the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to complete the selection process which includes an appearance before an oral interview board, a physical examination, and an extensive background check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
- Possession of and ability to ma ntain a valid Kansas driver\'s license.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Applicant must be 18 years of age or older and must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. certificate. A Kansas certificate for EMT, AEMT, Paramedic, RN, or PA, are preferred. A valid driver\'s license is required at application. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.