Kansas Employer Equipment Operator III (H) - Airport in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753028
Distinguishing Features of Work:
This work involves tasks ranging from semi-skilled to skilled in the maintenance, repair, and construction of grounds and facilities typically requiring the operation of heavy and/or specialized airport equipment on Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport and Col. James Jabara Airport, including those used for airfield snow and ice control. Work also includes inspection, service, preventive maintenance, and repairs of equipment, commercial irrigation systems, and complex airfield signing and pavement marking systems. Work is often performed independently but under the general direction of a supervisor. A supervisor gives direction in tasks, task priority, and special instructions when changes are necessary in established procedures.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Often responsible to determine means and methods of assigned work tasks and leading the work of other less senior and experienced staff in assigned tasks.
- Operates tractors, trucks, (up to 72,000 GVW dual and tandem dual
axle), with or without trailers, and other specialized construction
and maintenance equipment of varying size and complexity. Examples
of equipment include, but are not limited to:
- wheel loaders four wheel articulated
- motor graders
- street sweepers
- pavement marking vehicles
- crane hi-reach vehicles
- Operates specialized and complex airport snow and ice removal
equipment in the Air Operations Areas (AOA) and Movement Areas
(areas requiring FAA air traffic control clearance). Examples of
equipment include, but are not limited to:
- displacement plow trucks
- multi-purpose vehicles rotary broom/rotary plow/rotary blower
- liquid and dry de-icing chemical applicators
- Performs mowing operations in the AOA and Movement Areas (areas requiring FAA air traffic control clearance).
- Performs complex pavement marking and marking maintenance on the AOA and Movement Areas (areas requiring FAA air traffic control clearance).
- Operates specialized pavement maintenance and pavement replacement equipment.
- Performs maintenance and upkeep of pavements, markings, signage, fencing, and overall property maintenance.
- Performs planting, pruning, and tree removal, including operation of chippers, stump grinders and related equipment.
- Performs maintenance and upkeep of all storm drainage systems, including the Cow Skin creek on airport property.
- Performs inspections, maintenance and repair on commercial irrigation systems, pumps, backflow prevention devices, controls, timers, and related plumbing.
- Applies herbicide and pesticide chemicals.
- Performs mechanical maintenance, equipment and tool inspections, and service work on equipment operated.
- The examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
Ability to determine and apply means and methods of assigned work tasks, and periodically lead the work of others in assigned tasks.
Considerable knowledge and ability to exercise skills operating heavy and complex equipment systems specific to the airport environment.
Thorough knowledge of tools, methods, and materials used in construction and maintenance activities specific to the airport environment.
Thorough knowledge of methods used in mixing and pouring concrete, asphalt repairs; and knowledge of paints, thinners, and related supplies.
Knowledge of irrigation and related systems.
Knowledge of chemicals and chemical application equipment.
Knowledge of tree trimming, treatment, and removal methods and techniques, including sa e use of cutting and grinding equipment.
Must maneuver onto and off of riding machines; as well as maintain balance and tolerate riding over rough terrain for long periods of time.
Must work outdoors during inclement weather conditions.
Must walk on various surface types up to one mile several times daily.
Must continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk, about for most of an eight hour shift.
Must tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with aircraft engines and machine exhaust, fumes, open grounds, and construction.
Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds, or up to 150 pounds with the assistance of another person.
Ability to use heavy hand-tools such as jackhammer and chainsaw safely and effectively.
Must have sufficient vision to distinguish colors and brightness accurately in day or night hours; and to determine condition of internal and external facilities and equipment during inclement weather conditions.
Must hear and speak over the telephone, company radio and VHF (aeronautical) radio.
Ability and willingn