Kansas Employer Equipment Operator I (O) - Forestry in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753022
Distinguishing Features of Work:
The main responsibility of this position is skilled and safe operation of trucks and other powered equipment, including any attached mechanical equipment. Employees also perform manual work, usually of an unskilled or semiskilled nature, in connection with maintenance or tree-related work. Occasionally the employee may direct a small number of laborers assigned to help on specific tasks. Work is reviewed through inspections or through discussions with a supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performs minor servicing work on equipment, such as refueling, lubricating, washing and making minor adjustments.
- Operates a small tractor with attachments.
- Operates a flatbed truck with a winch and a brush chipper and chipper truck with chipper box.
- Assist with knuckle boom operations.
- Operates a mini-dump truck, log splitter and other tree-related equipment.
- Assists in loading and unloading materials.
- Assists in planting and maintaining new trees.
- Operates a chain saw and handsaw, shovels, rakes, ensilage fork and other tree-related tools from a stable platform or ground footing.
- Hauls topsoil, wood chips, water and other materials.
- Removes stumps, and mows lawns; collects litter or other debris; assists in all areas of jobsite cleanup; and performs other related tasks as assigned.
- Assists in snow removal operations.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Willingness to work under conditions that are sometimes unpleasant, where safety equipment must be worn and safety procedures followed.
- Ability to maneuver self into and/or onto vehicular equipment with two-foot steep first step, and onto frame or fender as required to perform fluid/filter check daily and maintenance every 100 hours or as needed on mowers and plows.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to maintain balance and physically tolerate operating and riding heavy equipment over rough terrain for long periods of time.
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions exist.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with machine exhaust, open grounds, and construction.
- Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of earplugs.
- Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk, about (up to half a mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with an air brake endorsement.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Prefer at least six months of experience in operating a flatbed truck with winch and chipper operation, and a chipper truck.
A valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with an air brake endorsement within 60 days of hire.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a police records check.