Kansas Employer Equipment Operator I (F) - Water Distribution in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753019
Distinguishing Features of Work:
The main responsibility of this position is manual work, usually unskilled or semiskilled in nature, in connection with maintenance or construction activities. Employees also perform skilled, safe operation of trucks and other powered equipment, including any attached mechanical equipment. Occasionally the employee may direct a small number of laborers assigned to help on specific tasks. Work is reviewed through inspections or through discussions with a supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performs minor servicing work on equipment, such as refueling, lubricating, washing and making minor adjustments.
- Operates a truck and assists in loading and unloading materials.
- Operates heavy equipment with attachments.
- Hauls sand, stones, cement, pipes, water, brick, or other materials and supplies.
- Digs ditches and other excavations and performs other laboring work as assigned.
- Assists in installing, operating, repairing and replacing water distribution system appurtenances.
- May function as backup operator or assistant to an Equipment Operator II.
- May assist in snow removal operations.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Willingness to work under conditions that are sometimes unpleasant, where safety equipment must be worn and safety procedures followed
- Ability to maneuver self into and/or onto vehicular equipment with two foot steep first step, and onto frame or fender as required to perform fluid/filter check daily and maintenance every 100 hours or as needed on mowers and plows
- Some knowledge of and ability to use the basic tools and equipment applicable to water utility operations and maintenance, or similar work
- Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds
- Ability to lift and carry up to 150 pounds with the assistance of another person
- Ability to exert up to 100 pounds of pressure using tools that tighten, loosen, or cut
- Ability to safely and effectively swing a 20 pound sledge hammer against brick, concrete, or similarly hard surfaces
- Ability to physically tolerate operating and riding heavy equipment for long periods of time
- Ability to tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with machine and traffic exhaust, open grounds, and construction
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions exist
- Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk, about (up to half a mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid Kansas Class A Commercial Driver\'s License.
- This position will require working outdoors in inclement weather including but not limited to, rain, snow, ice, sleet, heat, and humidity plus snow and ice removal and/or emergency response operations that would include operating equipment and vehicles on overnight shifts, weekends and in low-light and low visibility conditions, or other adverse weather conditions.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Six months of experience in the operation of construction/utility vehicles or heavy equipment.
Six months of experience with water utility systems operation and maintenance, or other similar work, preferred.
Possession of and ability to aintain a valid Kansas Class A Commercial Driver\'s License.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal records check.