Kansas Employer Equipment Operator I (C) - 617 - Sewer Maintenance in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12753018
Distinguishing Features of Work:
The main responsibility of this position is skilled and safe operation of trucks and other powered equipment, including any attached mechanical equipment. Employees also perform manual work, usually of an unskilled or semiskilled nature, in connection with maintenance or construction activities. Occasionally the employee may direct a small number of laborers assigned to help on specific tasks. Work is reviewed through inspections or through discussions with a supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performs minor servicing work on equipment, such as refueling, lubricating, washing and making minor adjustments.
- Operates a truck and assists in loading and unloading materials.
- Operates a small tractor with attachments.
- Operates a jackhammer and air compressor.
- Hauls sand, stones, cement, pipes, water, brick, or other materials.
- Digs ditches and other excavations, removes stumps, and mows lawns; mixes concrete; collects litter or performs other laboring work as assigned.
- May function as backup operator or assistant to an Equipment Operator II.
- Assists in snow removal operations.
- The examples of work performed are not intended to be all-inclusive.The City of Wichita reserves the right to assign additional duties as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Willingness to work under conditions that are sometimes unpleasant, where safety equipment must be worn and safety procedures followed.
- Ability to maneuver self into and/or onto vehicular equipment with two foot steep first step, and onto frame or fender as required to perform fluid/filter check daily and maintenance every 100 hours or as needed on mowers and plows.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 250 pounds with the assistance of another person.
- Ability to safely and effectively swing a 20 pound sledge hammer against brick, concrete, or similarly hard surfaces.
- Ability to safely and effectively use a jackhammer.
- Ability to maintain balance and physically tolerate operating and riding heavy equipment over rough terrain for long periods of time.
- Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions exist.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with traffic and machine exhaust, open grounds, and construction.
- Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of ear plugs.
- Ability to safely wear respirator for supplied air while entering confined spaces.
- Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk, about (up to half a mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas class B commercial driver\'s license (CDL) with an air brake endorsement.
- This position will require working outdoors in inclement weather including but not limited to, rain, snow, ice, sleet, heat, and humidity plus snow and ice removal and/or emergency response operations that would include operating equipment and vehicles on overnight shifts, weekends and in low-light and low visibility conditions, or other adverse weather conditions.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
Six months of experience in the operation of commercial motor vehicles.
Must have direct experience with operating a chain saw and/or jackhammer
Class B CDL is required.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Offers of employment will be made contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which will include drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a police records check.