International Rescue Committee Digital Literacy Intern in Wichita, Kansas
Job Title: Digital Literacy Intern
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Part-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Wichita, KS USA
The IRC’s Career Development Program helps newcomers to the US develop skills and professional networks to help them achieve long-term career goals. Within this program, the IRC is starting a new pilot project: Digital Literacy for New Americans. Throughout the semester, the Digital Literacy Intern will assist with developing, piloting, and evaluating a set of digital literacy learning resources designed to help refugees and immigrants acquire digital competencies needed for workplace success. This internship is an opportunity to gain experience in curriculum development, adult education, and program evaluation.
Minimum 10-15 hours/week during IRC office hours, 2-3 days/week. Regular schedule required. 2-3 month commitment.
Recruit participants for Digital Literacy Pilot and work closely with Career Development Coordinator to implement and monitor initiative
Streamline content of existing digital literacy curriculum
Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the pilot project
Work with clients as they learn digital literacy skills related to job search, MS Office, online training platforms, communication, and continuous tech learning
Organize and maintain client case files and perform other administrative duties supporting the Career Development Program, such as filing, copying, data entry, case notes, and answering phones
Attend and assist with career-related fieldtrips
Collect client stories to showcase benefits of career development trainings
Assist with other Career Development Program activities as needed
· Internships are open to undergraduate students, graduate students, or recent college graduates. This position may be of particular interest to people studying TESOL, education, social work, or social sciences.
· Strong inter-cultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and across language barriers
· Familiarity with job search and professional development activities, such as writing resumes, filling out online job applications, interviewing for jobs, professional networking, etc.
· Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
· Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in one of the following languages helpful, but not required: Swahili, French, Arabic, Tigrinya, Pashto, Dari
· Must be self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision at times
· Flexibility and a positive attitude is a must
· Applicants preferred who have valid driver’s license, vehicle, auto insurance, and a clean driving record
· Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies