Marriott Area Sales Leader - Arlington, VA in Topeka, Kansas
Additional Information Lead Sales Team for 3 Marriott Hotels. Must reside within market. Relocation available.
Job Number 24013429
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location MIDATLSLS Mid-Atlantic Sales Office, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
Provides leadership and direction to a team of area-based property sales associates to grow account share and drive revenue across hotels with regional priorities and overall segment strategies. Sets sales targets by associate and property to achieve the overall revenue goals within the area. Provides day to day leadership to the area teams to achieve assigned revenue and market share goals. Provides direct supervision to property-based sales managers for properties without sales leadership. Monitors pull-through of segment strategies and partners with General Managers to verify properties attain and grow sales/revenue objectives. Coordinates with the Group Sales teams within the Sales Office to successfully execute the sales strategy relating to transactional excellence. Maintains accountability for achieving revenue goals, team booking pace goals, guest and associate satisfaction and overall financial performance of hotels within their purview.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the sales and marketing, guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management.
• Proven leadership skills in supervising and managing associates.
• Lodging sales experience.
• Account management experience.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Sales Activities
• Verifies area Sales and Marketing strategies and programs are in alignment with the overall market goals.
• Tracks account growth and profitability to positively influence customer purchasing behavior.
• Implements the brand’s service strategy and applicable brand initiatives in all aspects of the sales process and focuses on building long-term, value-based customer relationships that enable achievement of the hotel’s’ sales objectives.
• Reviews the Smith Travel Research STAR report, reviews competitive shopping reports, researches competitor’s sales team strategies and uses other resources to grow occupancy and RevPAR and increase market share.
• Gains understanding of the hotel’s primary target customer to generate better business solutions.
• Provides customer intelligence in evaluating the market and economic trends that may lead to changes in sales strategy to meet or exceed customer expectations.
• Evaluates market and economic trends and introduces appropriate changes in sales strategies to generate increased revenue and establish competitive position in the market for each property.
• Manages the development of a strategic account plan for the demand generators in the market, and confirms sales team is leveraging Marriott International (MI) demand engines to full potential.
• Focuses on proactive selling and penetrating accounts.
• Partners with Group Sales leaders within the Sales Office and Property Stakeholders to review sales results and plans for each property with re-solicitation efforts and account assignments.
• Focuses on building each property’s top line revenue by developing a sales strategy that utilizes on-property and off-property sales channels to deliver results.
• Serves as the primary sales contact for the General Managers (GMs) and property leadership teams.
• Understands and accurately represents individual property needs.
• Partners with Field Marketing to develop and execute marketing communication activities; evaluates marketing opportunities by surfacing needs.
• Channels customer feedback, as appropriate, on all aspects of opportunity management to the Group Sales teams.
• Supports hotel development efforts for their hotels to gainfully grow the Marriott International Brand; provides input, as required, to the feasibility of projects, pro-forma development and approval, and sales and marketing plan development and execution in new and converted hotels.
• Develops actionable recommendations and responses to optimize performance and drive growth and profitability.
• In partnership with Revenue Management, develops business sales strategy plan to achieve property goals; utilizes the property diagnostic process to maximize revenue and profits.
• Partners with Revenue Management for the annual pricing process, request for proposal (RFP) and development of the marketing business plan.
• Monitors local property business outlook and consults with Revenue Management on strategy.
• Monitors all hotels in the market. Plays a challenge role in the review of on-going property-based sales & marketing decisions and initiatives establishing the right approaches and resources are brought to bear on property business challenges and opportunities.
• Creates and implements solutions for hotels that are not performing to expectation.
• Maintains successful performance by increasing revenues, controlling expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and Marriott International.
• Partners with Market Sales Leader to engage with owners and asset managers and communicate account strategy and hotel’s performance metrics.
• Monitors pull-through of segment strategies and partners with General Managers to verify that their hotels attain and grow sales/revenue objectives.
• Sets sales targets by associate and property to achieve revenue goals for hotels within their purview.
• Performs other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs.
Building Successful Relationships
• Develops and manages internal key stakeholder relationships.
• Serves as the property sales liaison with all sales channels, Revenue Management, Event Management, Regional Marketing Communications and other hotel departments as appropriate.
• Develops strong community and public relations by verifying that properties participate in local market trade shows and client events.
• Develops a close working relationship with operations to execute service and selling strategies at the hotel level.
• Monitors the effective resolution of guest issues that arise as a result of the sales process by creating mechanisms to channel issues to property leadership and/or other appropriate stakeholders.
• Manages and directs the area-based property sales team and promotes accountability to drive superior business results within the area.
• Provides leadership and direction to a team of area-based sales associates to drive revenue across hotels with regional priorities and overall segment strategies.
• For properties without sales leadership, manages and directs property-based senior sales executives and/or destination sales executives to achieve hotel revenue goals.
• Deploys sales teams against the most profitable property-based customer accounts. Sets performance targets that focus hotel sales associates to grow account share and drive revenue to local hotels.
• Serves as a change agent for hotels within their purview and plays a key leadership role in driving the implementation, pull-through and sustainment of Sales Transformation and related programs and key initiatives (e.g., CI/TY, etc.).
• Partners with Human Resources to attract, develop and retain the right people to support the strategic priorities of the market.
• Creates effective structures, processes, and jobs, and verifies performance management systems are in place.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership Performance Process (LPP), aligns performance and rewards, appropriately addresses performance issues and holds staff accountable for successful results.
• Forecasts talent needs and manages talent acquisition strategy with Human Resources (HR) to minimize lost time due to turnover.
• Keeps an active list of the competition’s best sales people and executes a recruitment and acquisition plan with HR.
• Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by assessing, selecting, retaining and developing diverse, high-caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for the future; continues to upgrade the sales & marketing talent; works with HR to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans.
• Reviews sales activity performance and addresses opportunity areas with direct reports.
• Identifies training needs and verifies that associates understand and execute against the Total Account Management Process.
• Provides day to day leadership to the area Group, Business Transient and Catering Sales teams to achieve assigned revenue and market share goals.
• Provides direct supervision to property-based sales managers for properties without sales leadership.
• Maintains accountability for achieving revenue goals, team booking pace goals, guest and associate satisfaction and overall financial performance of hotels within their purview.
California Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
Colorado Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $190,154.00 annually.
Hawaii Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $116,205.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
New York Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
Washington Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually. In addition to the annual salary, the position will be eligible to receive an annual bonus. Employees will accrue 0.04616 PTO balance for every hour worked and eligible to receive minimum of 7 holidays annually.
All locations offer coverage for medical, dental, vision, health care flexible spending account, dependent care flexible spending account, life insurance, disability insurance, accident insurance, adoption expense reimbursements, paid parental leave, educational assistance, 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan, discounts at Marriott properties, commuter benefits, employee assistance plan, and childcare discounts. Benefits are subject to terms and conditions, which may include rules regarding eligibility, enrollment, waiting period, contribution, benefit limits, election changes, benefit exclusions, and others.
The application deadline for this position is 28 days after the date of this posting, 1/29/2024.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.