Kansas State University Engineering Technician in Salina, Kansas
About This Role:
The Department of Integrated Studies at Kansas State Polytechnic in Salina, KS is seeking a dedicated Mechanical Engineering Technology Lab Technician to provide valuable support to faculty and students.
Duties include the following:
Install, maintain, and operate highly specialized laboratory equipment and precision tools using machine tools, and computer-controlled machines.
Consult with faculty and students on research and instructional projects, design and specifications, engineering materials, and available manufacturing options.
Assist with setup of equipment and materials for course-based laboratory experiences.
Instruct shop personnel, undergraduate students, and graduate students in operation of laboratory equipment, safety regulations, and appropriate procedures.
Serve as manager for the manufacturing lab, assist with inventory and purchasing, and complete other duties as directed by the Department Head.
Assist faculty and students with expertise in projects. Assist students in technical aspects of student club projects.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State Polytechnic's Mechanical Engineering Technology program is built on a strong foundation of science, mathematics and practical courses, which allows students to learn concepts that can be directly applied to product design and manufacturing in all types of industry. The program is built around a project-based education model, which allows students the opportunity to build communication and project management skills while bringing their ideas to life.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Associates Degree
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or a closely related field highly preferred
- At least 1 year of experience in the maintenance, installation, and operation of highly specialized laboratory equipment and precision tools using machine tools (e.g. metal lathe, milling machine, precision metal cutting and shearing), and computer-controlled machines (e.g. CNC Vertical Mill, CNC Plasma Table, CNC Laser, 3D printers).
- Experience in standard manufacturing shop practices and equipment.
- Experience in the use of CAD and CAM software (e.g. SolidWorks, Fusion360) in the design and manufacture of products.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate well with faculty, students, and outside organizations which supply equipment components.
- Must be able to work effectively in teams with diverse individuals.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs and be able to work in a standing position.
- Must be able to work some nights and weekends for campus events.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
Pay Grade 07B: $19.24 – $33.66 per hr
Please note: the minimum salary for this position is $19.24. Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate's experience, education, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670085520 Poly Dept Integrated Studies
Job no: 509456
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Salina, Kansas
Pay Grade: 07B
Advertised: Jul 27, 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled