Black & Veatch Electrical Engineer 1 - Telecom - Overland Park, KS in Overland Park, Kansas
Electrical Engineer 1 - Telecom - Overland Park, KS
Black & Veatch has an opportunity for an entry level Electrical Engineer in the Telecommunications business line. The opportunity is contract, potential to convert to full time employee based on business needs. Functions in an entry level engineering capacity. Under close supervision from electrical engineers and electrical Professional Engineers, the candidate performs routine aspects of electrical engineering power design. This requires acquired knowledge of NFPA 70 for meeting minimal design criteria and application of basic and departmental engineering principles. Applicant applies knowledge of electrical engineering principles to prescribed departmental techniques and procedures to complete electrical one-line diagram power design assignments. Applicant designs one-line diagrams for Electric Vehicle (EV) chargers, Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and PV Solar. In addition, work with electric utilities to produce utility electrical coordination drawings for new AC services.
• Develops familiarity by reading, understanding, and applying departmental electrical design guides, standards, systems, NFPA 70 minimum design guide criteria, and Black and Veatch policies and procedures
• Develops a sound understanding and complies with the Black and Veatch quality program.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Contributes to preparation of less complex engineering deliverables such as one-line drawings, calculations, reports, specifications, and studies of limited scope.
• Performs routine research and develops recommendations for electrical equipment and/or materials selection.
• Collects, assimilates, and manages data for electrical engineering work.
• Prepares basic electrical engineering calculations following standard methods and principles used in similar engineering analysis.
• Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Shares information with others as requested and/or in a proactive manner.
• Coordinates with others when directed by supervisor or project leadership.
• Focuses on the needs of internal clients (project team leadership) while attempting to gain basic understanding of external client's main interests and drivers.
• May provide support to business development or pursuit activities.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
• Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes.
Preference is for this individual to be in the Kansas City area, but open to professionals anywhere in the United States.
Preferred Technical Skills:
• Basic knowledge of electrical engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline.
• Basic electrical industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Basic knowledge of the company quality program.
• Basic knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office applications and their use (i.e. Excel, Word, Power Point, Bluebeam, etc.).
Preferred Non-Technical Skills:
• The ability to learn quickly and “on the fly”
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Intellectual horsepower and intuition to solve issues
• Excellent written communication skills
• Drive for Results
• Informing peers and management when necessary
• Excellent listening skills
• The ability to deal with various levels of ambiguity
• Excellent interpersonal skills
No experience required. Requires a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Work Environment: Typical office environment. Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, seeing, writing, reaching, stooping, crouching, walking, standing for extended periods of time.
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Construction, Electrical, Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Engineering