Garmin Firmware Software Engineer 2 - Sonar in Olathe, Kansas
In the Marine Segment, we are driven to innovate and create products that enrich our customers' on-the-water experience. This could be through catching more fish, safely navigating through rough conditions, winning a tournament, or enjoying some pleasure cruising. Sonar technology is a critical component for all of those experiences on the water. Our sonar portfolio includes chartplotter-integrated Ultra High-Definition SideVü and DownVü sonar, traditional CHIRP sonar, multiple black boxes to fit various needs, and the award-winning LiveScope. To see LiveScope in action, check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TtJcEQmB0
In order to continue to provide the cutting-edge equipment our customers demand, we are looking for a full-time embedded C/C++ firmware engineer to develop low-to-mid level software for the marine department with an emphasis on sonar technology at our world headquarters location in the greater Kansas City area. The primary focus of this role will be on mid-level sonar algorithm development and digital signal processing. The secondary focus is on understanding the hardware behind sonar and being able to adjust low-level driver code in order to facilitate sonar development and improve new sonar designs.
Job functions include:
• Developing embedded C/C++ software on Linux or Garmin custom OS
• Developing embedded DSP software on various platforms
• Debugging sonar related issues using both hardware and software tools
• Collaborating with other engineers to develop optimal solutions
• Creating and executing designs for small sets of new functionality as part of a software project
• Conducting peer code reviews and providing feedback in design reviews
• Performing software releases
• Performing as a technical leader or Lead Software Engineer for derivative software project
• Providing reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
• Performing technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
• Serving as a mentor to less experienced software engineers
• Applying Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or other relevant technical field from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher. Other requirements include:
• Must possess a minimum 1 year of work experience programming embedded C/C++.
• Demonstrates proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description
• Must demonstrate proficiency and possess experience necessary to develop moderately complex software in C and C++.
• Demonstrates mastery of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers, emulators, simulators and logic analyzers)
Experience with sonar technology, Matlab, National Instruments LabVIEW, DSP programming, signal processing, programming on ARM multi-core processors, Linux, BSP Development, networking (Wi-Fi and Ethernet), Git, and experience developing for consumer products is highly preferred!
Garmin International is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.