Kansas State University Research Associate - Beef Cattle Institute in Manhattan, Kansas
About this Role:
The Beef Cattle Institute (BCI) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Associate. The purpose of this position is to fulfill the obligations of a grant from the Beef Checkoff through National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. This position will be responsible for performing soils, cattle and economic computer modeling analysis and developing methodology for aggregating sustainability indicators into an index for the project. This position will also lead writing of technical reports and peer-reviewed publications.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the* Principles of Community.*
Duties / Responsibilities:
The Beef Cattle Institute in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University is seeking a Research Associate for a 1 year position in the area of sustainable beef cattle grazing. This person will:
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of faculty having expertise in beef cattle production, soils, rangeland ecology, wildlife biology and economics.
- Will assess the impact of grazing management practices on soil health indicators of sustainability in 7 ecoregions across the Great Plains using the EPIC/APEX soil model.
- Will assess the impact of grazing management practices on greenhouse gas emissions indicators of sustainability in 7 ecoregions across the Great Plains using the IFSM beef cattle production model.
- Will assess the impact of grazing management practices on economic indicators of sustainability in 7 ecoregions across the Great Plains using the IMPLAN or RIMS II economic framework.
- Will develop a methodology to aggregate indicators into an index of sustainability for various grazing scenarios.
- Will lead writing of technical reports for the granting agency and peer-reviewed publications with input from faculty.
- Will coordinate duties/responsibilities of undergraduate students working on the project.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- M.S. in Agronomy, Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Veterinary Science or related field
- Two years of relevant experience
- Ph.D. in Agronomy, Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Veterinary Science or related field
- Previous experience/knowledge in rangeland/pastoral grazing systems, soils, beef cattle production, and agricultural economics is preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 46,030 - $ 80,530 annual salary
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670080050 Clinical Sciences
Job no: 509806
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Sciences / Livestock
Pay Grade: 08B
Advertised: Oct 19, 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled