Kansas State University Libraries Laboratory Animal Technician I in Manhattan, Kansas
General Description of Position:
The CMG mission is to provide animal husbandry and veterinary services for animals used in KSU’s research, teaching, and testing programs in accordance with (IAW) applicable laws, regulations, standards, guidelines, and university policy governing the care and use of laboratory animals at academic/research institutions. The duties of this position include performing routine daily animal husbandry for a wide variety of animal species (e.g.¸feeding, watering, cleaning stalls/pens/cages, waste disposal, sanitation/decontamination of facilities/equipment, etc.), animal handling/restraint/transport, general facility housekeeping/maintenance tasks, animal health monitoring/reporting, administering prescribed veterinary treatments (e.g., oral, topical, and/or injectable medications/drugs), assisting with anesthesia/surgical/necropsy procedures as required, and assisting with the research studies as required. This duty position is primarily allocated/assigned to the CMG’s Large Animal Research Center (LARC), but incumbents may be temporarily detailed to perform similar tasks in other CMG supported animal facilities on the KSU Manhattan Campus as required (e.g., Coles Animal Facility, Mosier Animal Facility, Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI), etc.). An employee filling this position is classified as an “ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEE”.
Position requires variable on-call, evening/night, weekend, and/or holiday swing shifts as required to provide 7 days/week, 365 days/year animal care coverage.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Requires a high school diploma and American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification within 12 months of hire. This position is covered by the Kansas Association of Public Employees (KAPE) agreement.
Valid driver’s license upon employment
Must pass a KSU pre-employment background check.
A National Select Agent security risk assessment and/or U.S. Government security clearance is also required for the employee to work at the BRI.
- Knowledge of AAALAC accreditation requirements
- Working knowledge of Windows-based computer software (e.g.¸MS Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- AALAS certification at the Asst. Lab Animal Technician (ALAT), Lab Animal Technician (LAT), or Lab Animal Technologist (LATg) level.
- Some college/vo-tech level biology, animal science, or veterinary technician training/education.
- Experience working directly with animals at a veterinary clinic/hospital, animal shelter, and/or animal boarding kennel facility.
- Animal husbandry experience with laboratory animals (rodents & rabbits), small animal (dogs/cats), and/or large animals (agricultural livestock) in a research facility.
- Experience working in an AAALAC accredited research institution/facility.
- Experience working at ABSL-2, ABSL-3, and/or ABSL-3Ag in a research facility.
- Experience working with animals used on infectious disease research projects in a research facility.
- Experience in maintaining detailed records.
Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions:
- Must be able routinely lift/handle at least 50 lbs. (e.g., feed bags, bedding bags, caging, animals, etc.)
- Work involves frequent bending, reaching, and squatting and standing/walking the majority of the day/work shift.
- Must be able to pass an initial occupational health physical screening exam and a medical evaluation/clearance to wear required respiratory PPE.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and wear required PPE.
Screening of Applications Begins: Immediately
Salary Range / Pay Rate: $10.87- $17.93/hr
Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670050090 University Veterinarian
Job no: 504880
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Facilities / Grounds / Skilled Trades, Animal Sciences / Livestock, Veterinary Medicine
Advertised: 28 Sep 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled