Kansas State University Grant Accountant (Sponsored Programs) in Manhattan, Kansas
About This Role:
The Sponsored Programs Accounting Office is seeking applicants for a Grant Accountantto fill a 12-month term position. This position ensures proper stewardship of an externally sponsored project with emphasis on global food systems funding, monitors, and accounts for such funds within the guidelines set forth by sponsors, in addition to federal, state, and university rules and regulations. The overall mission is to aid in establishing Kansas State University as a leading research institution.
Responsible for financial administration, compliance, and oversight of all assigned sponsored program accounts. Sponsored accounts include those for grants, cooperative agreements, contracts, matching, K-State Foundation transfers, and other miscellaneous types of agreements. Sponsors include federal government agencies and organizations, universities, industry, state and local governments, non-profits, and foreign entities with an emphasis on global food systems funding.
Account responsibilities include:
- Preparation of documents used to establish accounts and attributes for new and modified awards. Complex official award agreements and budgets and proposal documents must be carefully reviewed to identify an extensive number of attributes that are critical to proper accounting, budgeting, reporting, and administration of the award. University level reports such as annual financial statements, state budget reports, and indirect cost calculations are also impacted by the selected attributes.
- Generating invoices, letter of credit cash requests, financial, property, invention, or other reports in sponsor-required formats to meet sponsor-imposed deadlines.
- Review of expenditures to identify unallowable costs or other errors. Multiple types of payment documents must be reviewed and approved prior to being recorded in the central accounting system. The applicable rules and regulations for the specific award, sponsor, and program involved must be identified and used. Vendor or subrecipient contracts may need to be reviewed in order to approve and process payments to consultants or other entities responsible for a portion of the project. If proper contracts haven’t been established, the department must be notified of applicable rules and provided with appropriate contacts for getting a contract in place. Expenditure coding must be reviewed to ensure processes such as tax reporting, capitalization of costs, or calculation of indirect costs are not adversely affected.
- Communicating directly with sponsors, faculty, departmental staff, and other central administrative offices regarding award administration. Serves as primary contact with sponsors regarding financial compliance with an emphasis on global food systems funding. Must answer questions and resolve problems in order to ensure proper stewardship of funds and to maintain ongoing and critical relationships with sponsors. Must provide training and assistance to K-State faculty and administrative personnel regarding financial issues and costs or activities that are deemed as non-compliant.
Why Join Us:
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off-vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- High School Diploma and three or more years of relevant experience
- Experience or skills in grants and contracts within a university setting
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills, including spreadsheets and databases
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Accounting
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently and set priorities
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- Three professional references with current contact information
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by October 30, 2020.
Anticipated Pay Rate Range:
$22.18 - $23.99 per hour __
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670005040 Division of Financial Services
Job no: 509799
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Business / Accounting / Finance, Office / Clerical
Pay Grade: 09A
Advertised: Oct 14, 2020 Central Daylight Time Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled