Kansas State University Department Head / Associate or Full Professor (Personal Financial Planning) in Manhattan, Kansas
About This Role:
Kansas State University is currently seeking a full-time, 12-month Associate/Full Professorto serve as Department Headof the newly formed Department of Personal Financial Planning, within the College of Health and Human Sciences. We seek a visionary leader who will provide leadership for planning and implementing the department’s vision and mission to support the strategic goals of the College of Health and Human Sciences and K-State for academic excellence and prominence. The position reports directly to the Dean of the College of Health and Human Sciences.
- Provide departmental leadership to promote excellence in academics, distance education programs, research, engagement, outreach, service, and extramural funding
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni and the public to develop and advance the mission of the department, college, and university
- Manage the department’s human, fiscal, and physical resources
- Provide innovative leadership in strategic planning
- Oversee the recruitment, appointment, retention, development, and promotion of a diverse and accomplished faculty and staff
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with constituent groups, agencies, professional societies, university units, and the public
- Enhance alumni relations and development activities
- Actively participate in instruction, including serving on graduate student committees, research, and service activities in the Department, College and University, and provide leadership in professional organizations
This full-time, tenured 12-month position at the rank of associate or full professor has a proposed starting date of July 2020, with a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience (For additional information refer to the benefits summary http://www.k-state.edu/hr/current-employees/benefits/summary.html).
Why Join Us:
The Department of Personal Financial Planning stems from a successful program already established within the College of Health and Human Sciences, that is a top ranked program nationally. We offer the following degree programs and certificates:
- Three degree programs (B.S., M.S., Ph.D.) in Personal Financial Planning
- All programs are registered with the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Board of Standards, Inc.
- The B.S. is offered on-campus and online
- The M.S. is offered online
- The Ph.D. program is a hybrid program; students take courses online during the fall and spring semesters and participate in 10-day intensive courses on campus in August and an international experience in their final summer.
- Graduate certificate programs in:
- Personal Financial Planning
- Financial Therapy
Our undergraduate program is growing, and our undergraduate student teams consistently place in the top 3 programs at national competitions. Our doctoral students excel in the field and take a variety of academic and industry positions, including placements at peer-institution programs and business schools. The program currently has over 100 undergraduate students, over 100 master’s degree students and graduate certificate students, 35 doctoral students, 12 faculty members, and 2.5 staff members. The faculty’s award-winning research focuses on the intersection of personal finance and behavior and seeks to inform the professional practice of personal financial planning. For information, please go to: https://www.ipfp.k-state.edu/.
The College of Health and Human Sciences is home to six academic departments/school (Apparel, Textiles, and Interior Design; Family Studies and Human Services; Food, Nutrition, Dietetics, and Health; Hospitality Management; Personal Financial Planning; and Kinesiology) and three academic units (Interdisciplinary Program in Gerontology, Family and Consumer Sciences Education, and General Human Ecology Studies). In addition, the college received approval from the Kansas Board of Regents to begin a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program. The College enrolls more than 2,200 undergraduate and nearly 400 graduate students and employs more than 115 full-time faculty members in teaching, research, and Extension positions (https://www.hhs.k-state.edu/). The College is committed to promoting research, scholarship, creative activity, and discovery with a strategic and cohesive focus on health and human behavior.
Kansas State University is a distinguished public research I university and land-grant institution renowned for the excellence of its faculty, students, staff, academic programs, research, and service. It is a three-campus system with the main campus located in Manhattan and the other campuses in Olathe and Salina. Online degree programs, professional development conferences and workshops, and enrichment classes and programs are offered through the K-State Global Campus. The university has an enrollment of more than 22,200 students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. K-State was recognized by the Princeton Review as one of America’s best colleges and U.S. News & World Report lists the university among the top 75 public universities in the U.S. The mission of K-State is “to foster excellent teaching, research, and service that develop a highly skilled and educated citizenry necessary to advancing the well-being of Kansas, the nation, and the international community. The university embraces diversity, encourages engagement and is committed to the discovery of knowledge, the education of undergraduate and graduate students, and improvement in the quality of life and standard of living of those we serve. By 2025, Kansas State University will be a premier, student-centered, public research university serving communities at home and across the globe through our land-grant mission” (https://www.k-state.edu/2025/plan/ refresh/).
K-State is centered on a 664 acre campus in Manhattan located 50 miles west of the state capital of Topeka and 125 miles west of Kansas City in the rolling Flint Hills. With daily connecting flights to Chicago and Dallas, Manhattan provides access to a wide range of educational, cultural, medical, and recreational programs and facilities. The local economy is bolstered by K-State and its proximity to Fort Riley, a large U.S. Army installation, and is future home of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF). Manhattan rates among the best classic college towns in the country - it's big enough (nearly 55,000 permanent residents) to offer opportunities and adventures, but small enough to maintain a strong sense of community. Manhattan also ranked second on Livability.com’s 2018 Top 100 Best Places to Live (https://livability.com/ best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2018/ks/manhattan) and Forbes magazine ranked Manhattan third in the nation for best small places for businesses and careers (http://www.k-state.edu/admissions/life/ manhattan.html).
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Earned doctorate in
- Personal Financial Planning
- Family Economics
- Consumer Economics
- Family Resource Management
- Couple and Family Therapy OR
- Related fields
- A record of academic achievement meriting appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor at Kansas State University
- A research focus in the area of personal financial planning, personal finance, financial counseling or financial therapy
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal skills, and experience working collaboratively
- Demonstrated effectiveness in planning and administration
*Preferred Qualifications: *Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- CFP® certification
- Prior administrative experience, with a progressive level of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with industry partners and alumni
- Experience leading program growth, strategic planning development, and recruitment efforts
- Commitment to land grant mission
- Graduate/research mentoring experience
- Effective teaching both on campus and online
- Demonstrated leadership in relevant professional organizations, such as:
- Association of Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- American Council on Consumer Interests (ACCI)
- Financial Therapy Association (FTA)
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) and similar organizations
How to Apply:
To assure full consideration, please submit the following documents as a single PDF file:
- Cover letter addressing the qualifications and expectations described above
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for five professional references. (The search is confidential – references will only be contacted after initial screening and after the candidate has granted permission.)
Inquiries about the position should be directed to the search committee co-chairs, Dr. Bronwyn Fees (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Stuart Heckman (email@example.com) with the subject line: PFP Department Head Search.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Initial review of applications will begin March 23, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670055050 Family Studies & Human Service
Job no: 508842
Work type: Academic / Faculty - 12 month, Executive
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Education / Instructional, Executive / Director / Management
Pay Grade: 001
Advertised: 12 Feb 2020 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled