Kansas State University Assistant Professor - Architecture in Manhattan, Kansas
*About This Role: *
Design | Fabrication Specialization The successful candidate will demonstrate interest and ability to teach architectural design studios across the curriculum. Entry-level studios require the ability to teach fundamental design skills, including spatial and formal composition, graphics, and modeling techniques, while upper-level studios require the ability to teach the design and technical skills necessary to resolve and document architectural intent from the urban scale to the detail. She or he will demonstrate proficiency in design and visualization software and the capability of integrating this technology into her or his design studio teaching. Demonstrated excellence in teaching architectural design studios and the capability of serving in a design studio leadership role are preferred.
The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in fabrication and the capability of integrating these tools and techniques into her or his design studio and seminar teaching. Demonstrated proficiency in hybrid (hand, power, and digital) fabrication methods is preferred. The candidate will demonstrate interest and ability to engage in research/creative activity related to her or his area of expertise. Demonstrated ability to procure external funding in support of applied research/creative activity is preferred.
Why Join Us:
Our design-oriented program is grounded in the ‘making’ of architecture. We focus on those aspects that lend a sense of built reality to an architectural idea. In support of this focus, we recently completed an extensive renovation of our facility, which now includes a 20,000 square foot fabrication shop for woodwork and metalwork. CNC fabrication equipment includes multiple 3-axis milling machines and a 3-axis CNC plasma cutter.
The Department of Architecture at Kansas State University is a nationally recognized program offering a professional Master of Architecture and post-professional Master of Science in Architecture. Departmental faculty may also participate in a College-wide interdisciplinary PhD in Environmental Design and Planning. The department sponsors studios at the Kansas City Design Center in Kansas City, Missouri, and has a long-standing curricular partnership with the Department of Architecture, Urban Planning and Design at the University of Missouri/Kansas City. The department is located at K-State’s main campus in Manhattan, KS, in the heart of the scenic Flint Hills region 120 miles west of Kansas City, MO. To learn more about the Department of Architecture and our programs, please visit our website at apdesign.k-state.edu/arch/.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the* Principles of Community.*
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Terminal professional degree in Architecture (Post-baccalaureate MArch or equivalent).
- Professional practice experience in architecture sufficient to have fulfilled the internship requirement for licensure.
- Interest and ability to teach architectural design studios across the curriculum.
- Expertise in fabrication and the capability of integrating these tools and techniques into her or his teaching.
- Interest and ability to develop and teach elective seminars in her or his area of expertise.
- Interest and ability to develop a research/creative agenda related to her or his area of expertise.
- Extensive and creative professional practice experience in architecture.
- Architectural license.
- Excellence in teaching architectural design studios and the capability of serving in a design studio leadership role.
- Proficiency in hybrid (hand, power, and digital) fabrication methods.
- Established applied research/creative agenda.
- Record of service to the academic and professional communities.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae.
- List of three academic and/or professional references with full contact information.
- Portfolio documenting academic and/or professional experience.
Direct all inquiries to Professor Matt Knox, Architecture Department Head, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of Applications Begins:
Screening begins January 25 and continues until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670015020 Architecture
Job no: 509979
Work type: Academic / Faculty - 9 month
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Architecture / Construction, Education / Instructional
Pay Grade: 001
Advertised: Dec 10, 2020 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled