City of Manhattan Assistant Laboratory Specialist in Manhattan, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/r/jobs/11468149
Asst Laboratory Specialist Description (https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/529761)
(Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt position)
Starting Wage: $31,824.00 Annualized Open Until Filled
How to apply: Using the “apply” button on this page, please complete the required online application. For general questions about the position, contact Unique Hiram at (785) 587-2447 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To assist in laboratory testing and general laboratory duties as required for the Water Plant or Wastewater Treatment Plant and other divisions of the Public Works Department.
• Perform laboratory analyses of water/wastewater samples using designated and standard methods of analyses, various instruments and system of weights and measurements, while adhering to departmental time frames.
• Solve problems and evaluate test results utilizing independent judgment.
• Report results of applicable data analyses to the Environmental Protection Agency.
• Interpret written material of a fairly technical nature, including chemical and biological terminology.
• Set up equipment required for tests and quality control so no delays in testing occur.
• Maintain instruments and keep laboratory in optimal condition through good organizational skills, cleaning of glassware according to standard laboratory practices, and general cleaning of laboratory, including scrubbing walls, floors, shelves, tables and sinks to maintain a healthy and safe environment.
• Demonstrate safe laboratory practices, such as following established protocols involved with handling hazardous materials like wearing appropriate personal protective gear.
• Operate a computer and various software applications.
• Perform basic mathematical calculations including algebra.
• Maintain open communication with coworkers and the general public to include answering the telephone and relaying messages to coworkers and/or other departments.
• Deliver supplies and samples to designated work area, log receipt of samples in the laboratory and maintain inventory reports.
• Performs Proficiency Testing (PT) analyses to comply with Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) accreditation requirement for Demonstration of Capability.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
+ High School Diploma or GED
+ Six (6) months experience in a laboratory setting required.
Preferred Education and Experience
+ College coursework in chemistry and/or biology.