Kansas State University Accounting Specialist (Division of Financial Services) in Manhattan, Kansas
About This Role:
The Division of Financial Services is seeking applicants for an Accounting Specialist to function as the primary liaison between contract student loan billing services and borrowers of Perkins, Health Professional, and Foundation Student Loans.
- Utilize the billing service’s computer system to obtain information regarding borrowers.
- Upload all new loans as well as advances and reductions to existing loans to the billing service on a weekly basis.
- Monthly download customer summaries from the billing service and prepare the file to reconcile any differences between Student Financial Aid and the billing service.
- Use data received from the billing service input deposit information electronically using CASHNet system.
- Review student loan hardship deferment requests and either approve or deny based on data submitted by the borrower and criteria set under federal regulations.
- Complete Department of Defense (DOD) loan repayment request forms, compute collection costs when appropriate, and respond to inquiries from borrowers about their accounts.
- Provide information to loan billing server regarding dates, amounts or other information requested and contact borrowers when necessary.
- Monitor payment transactions received from students, collection agencies, and setoff to assure that each payment is applied accurately to the principal, interest, and late fees, and notifies billing service of necessary adjustments.
- Review monthly reports from our billing service and take appropriate action. Work with the supervisor to keep the cohort default rate down by sending letters, deferment forms, and telephoning borrowers if necessary.
- Post data received from the Emergency Student Loan (ESL) Cashier to a spreadsheet with transaction details necessary to reconcile the ESL system to Financial Information System (FIS).
- Utilizing data received from the loan servicer, post daily HPSL entries to the monthly journal. Verify that all cash and non-cash transactions are posted the same in the journal, FIS, and the loan servicer.
Why Join Us:
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off-vacation, sick, and holidays.
To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Requires a high school diploma and six months of relevant experience
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, e-mail, and data entry experience
- Ability to understand, explain and apply regulations and work with student borrowers
- Proficiency in complex mathematical calculations
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- Three professional references with current contact information
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by December 4, 2020.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$13.43 to $16.79/hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670005040 Division of Financial Services
Job no: 509907
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance, Office / Clerical
Pay Grade: 05A
Advertised: Nov 17, 2020 Central Standard Time Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled