Kiewit Structural Engineer- Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 168842
Job Level: Mid Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering (KIWE) division is seeking a Mid-Level Structural Design Engineer. This role is located in Lenexa, KS or Bloomington, MN, with the opportunity for flexible work. We are looking for ideal candidates to grow the KIWE team by helping establish, maintain, and improve standards and tools, and mentoring young engineers while contributing to project success. Candidates will have a minimum of 4 years of experience in engineering, using current drawing and technical tools/programs/software with an understanding and experience in design documentation creation/layout, and be comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a growth mindset continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,700 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities, and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, mechanical, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
This position is based out of Lenexa, KS or Bloomington, MN. Opportunities for flexible work are available.
• Prepare designs for structures including research, system selection, analysis, and drawing preparation on projects ranging from moderate to large in size and complexity.
• Apply department and industry standards to oversee the preparation of calculations, project drawings, and project specifications.
• Mentor and direct the work of entry and mid-level employees for skills development. Reviews their progress and results. Provides direction and coaching, as needed.
• Leverages Building Information Modeling (BIM) to create plans, drawings, and details.
• Incorporate the requirements of the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract, customer Requests for Proposals (RFPs), professional service agreements, or other contractual requirements ensuring the projects meet or exceed project goals.
• Coordinate with internal and external partners including cross-discipline, construction, vendors, fabricator(s), and owners to address structural-related issues or concerns.
• Recommend changes for standards or process improvements, as needed.
• Prepare, monitor, and update project plans, schedules, and budgets (including staffing needs) to project management and department management.
• Support department managers in setting and achieving performance goals for the department.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a civil or architectural engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program. Some masters’ coursework preferred
• Licensed Professional Engineer
• At least four years’ experience in structural engineering and design. A minimum of three years in the industrial or building markets, preferred
• Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and written form
• Functional in utilizing spreadsheets, databases, word processing, and computer operations
• Knowledgeable and experience in engineering software: CSi SAP2000 and SAFE, RISA Suite.
• Knowledge and experience with BIM software: Revit preferred, AutoCAD, and Navisworks.
• Must be able to represent Kiewit Industrial Engineering in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors, and any other contacts outside Kiewit organization
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.