Kiewit Structural Design Intern - Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering (Summer 2024) in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 169642
Job Level: Internship
Home District/Group: Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering
Department: Drafting & Design
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering is seeking a Structural Design Intern for the Lenexa, KS office. We are looking for ideal candidates to grow the Kiewit team by helping establish, maintain, and improve company standards and tools while also utilizing these standards and tools to contribute to project success. Candidates shall be familiar with current drawing and technical tools, programs, and software with an understanding of design documentation creation and layouts. Candidates shall be capable of exhibiting flexibility in work assignments while maintaining a growth mindset and continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial and Water Engineering Group , which includes mechanical, process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings, Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
This position is based in our Lenexa, KS office.
• Coordinate with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development
• Gathers required information and collaborate with engineers and multiple disciplines to develop BIM models for foundations and steel structures
• Leverages Building Information Modeling (BIM) to create plans, drawings, and details
• Assist in the development of department standards and tools
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and in written form.
• Must be able to complete assignments in a timely manner.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret multi-discipline engineering and vendor documents.
• Must be able to represent Kiewit Engineering and Design in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit Engineering and Design organization.
• Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (Revit, AutoCAD, NavisWorks etc.), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems.
• Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
• Pursuing Associate or Bachelor degree in Computer Aided Design & Drafting Technology or related field.
May travel to a project site for tour. #LI-IPLA
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.