Kiewit Corporation Project Development Manager / FEED Manager- Kiewit Industrial Engineering in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 118581
Job Level: Senior Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Industrial Group (KIG) has an immediate opening for a dynamic Project Development Manager / FEED Manager in our growing Project Development group based in Lenexa, KS, USA. You will be part of our expanding group that is focused on working with clients to define and develop projects from a conceptual idea to a level that is ready for detailed design and construction execution. You will lead a team of engineers, estimators, and constructability personnel to act as a Solutions Provider that exceeds client expectations and furthers Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
You will manage project development activities of Kiewit teams, external partners, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and client stakeholders on a variety of industrial projects and pursuits. Industrial project markets include food & beverage, pulp & paper, industrial power, bulk manufacturing, mineral processing, cement, metals, industrial water and advanced manufacturing. The Project Development Manager / FEED Manager will be responsible for leading, administering and managing design teams, often in a dynamic, fluid and iterative development process, to meet project financial, schedule, and operational objectives, consistent with Kiewit's standard procedures and core values. The majority of the projects you will be responsible for will fall under a Progressive Design Build (PDB), Front End Engineering Design (FEED), Front End Loading (FEL-1, FEL-2, etc.), or Feasibility Study delivery method.
This position requires a seasoned professional manager of projects capable of balancing multiple competing priorities. Priorities may exist on a single large complex project or across an assignment of many unrelated smaller projects. These priorities include, but are not limited to: managing client expectations, maintaining positive and engaging client communication, meeting each project’s scope requirements within budgeted time and resources, managing scope for Kiewit efficiently while increasing the value of what Kiewit delivers to each client, managing a diverse, temporary (project based) workforce, providing guidance to the project team on how to maintain progress with limited information, identifying and documenting risk and developing a mitigation plan, managing time effectively, training staff on each job, modeling proper behavior with clients and in all other work environments, making effective work assignments at the right staff level, and building a collaborative team to achieve challenging objectives.
Clients are turning to Kiewit during all stages of project life cycles to lead and manage multi-disciplined design teams to work together to define scope, improve schedule, develop and track design progress, control costs and minimize risk. Through our integrated design and construction approach, our teams offer expertise in process design, mechanical, electrical, structural and civil engineering across multiple market segments (Industrial, Infrastructure, Power Generation, Power Delivery, Mining, Buildings, OGC, Transportation, Water/Wastewater). As part of the Kiewit Industrial Group Project Development team, you will have the opportunity to work with external engineering firms, members of our interdisciplinary engineering team, estimators, schedulers and construction experts, all working to develop the best possible collaborative delivery of project development to our clients throughout North America.
This position is based out of Lenexa, KS
• Seek ways to improve customer satisfaction, the quality of the work product, and operating efficiencies
• Lead project planning processes within the pursuit and proposal phase; synthesize the required scope and collaborate with company resources, SME’s and functional leadership in preparing written technical engineering scope, development of services estimate, organizational charts, schedule and other proposal deliverables
• Through engaging communication, provide technical expertise, establishment of team goals, and alignment with project objectives
• Develop and execute a communications plan, ensuring team members are informed of strategy, shared goals, objectives, milestones, individual responsibilities, best practices, and policies.
• Responsible for taking design scope from concept through deliverables completion incorporating solutions from the engineering, estimating, environmental, procurement, construction and start up services groups
• Overall management of the internal and external project design team
• Engage with client to fully understand operations priorities and ensures their implementation through the design
• Engage with third party process engineers, vendors, OEM’s and internal Subject Matter Experts to evaluate process design deliverables to assure conformance to industry standards, project scope and client design basis
• Provide guidance to the project team on how to maintain progress with limited information, including documenting and communicating design assumptions internally and with the client
• Identify, evaluate, and document risks inherent in the project that could materially impact the overall success and develop a mitigation plan, jointly between Kiewit and the client, to best allocate the risk and associated mitigation items
• Coordinate discussions on project design and performance status with Clients and permitting agencies as necessary
• Work within a matrix environment to communicate and coordinate resource needs
• Serve as primary Kiewit contact for the Client at the project level of management
• Conduct/support weekly/monthly project design and performance status reviews with client representatives.
• Coordinate interface between the design development team and the estimating team, ensuring the estimate team is aligned with the base design and approach for the Project Development effort. Clearly define the level of estimate classification required for the associated scope of work. Directly lead and manage the estimate team on small projects
• Project Management: Direct the development and oversee the implementation of the project execution plan including deliverables lists, schedule, budget, and manpower projections. Schedule and lead project team meetings as required. Coordinate client billings with the Kiewit business management team
• Progress Management: Monitor and report project progress against the execution plan, take appropriate corrective action if progress falls behind the plan
• Cost to Budget Management: monitor, control, and report project expenditures against the budget. Oversee contract change notice management process as required
• Communicate project status to Kiewit Management, such as providing regular weekly reports, monthly reports, and other reports as required
• Good negotiation, presentation and persuasion skills.
• Experienced in communicating ideas, winning approval, and reaching resolutions with a variety of audiences.
• Ability to manage projects and progress ideas to execution in a complex environment.
• Strong analytical ability along with the capacity to interpret data and make recommendations.
• Comfortable with change and ambiguity; adaptable, collaborative and a systems thinker.
• Must be self-motivated, results oriented and must constantly coach in order to develop team members.
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Bachelor's Degree in mechanical, process, chemical, civil/structural, or electrical engineering; or related field
• 15+ years' experience in increasingly challenging positions, preferably in an engineering or construction organization
• 5+ years’ experience performing engineering-related design or management within the industrial market
• 5+ years’ experience in managing an engineering and design team of at least 20 or more
• 5+ years’ experience in a consulting role, preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.