Kiewit Mechanical Design Intern - Kiewit Power Engineering (Summer 2024) in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 169503
Job Level: Internship
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Engineering
Department: Drafting & Design
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
As a Mechanical Design Intern you will apply engineering drafting principles and procedures in performing basic engineering drafting work. Develop drawings and models with information, close guidance, and direction provided by engineers and designers. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district , which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
Renewables and new technology
We are a high performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
• Develop 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills.
• Create and maintain plan, diagram and detail drawings.
• Develop the capability of navigating and checking in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Resolve comments on checked drawings; understand and implement the comments made.
• Complete as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Gather information needed to develop drawings.
• Create check packages with all applicable information to the work assigned.
• Learn and utilize all applicable Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. design and quality standards
• Learn and utilize applicable codes and standards to complete assignments.
• Carry out assignments carefully while focused on details.
• Perform assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize personal productivity.
• Handle various assignments, including rework, in timely manner to meet schedule deadlines.
• Report work progress updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required.
• Inform Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. standards.
• Perform personal quality checks of the design in a team environment to ensure accuracy.
• Check design for consistency, safety, operability, and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Basic understanding of piping layouts and field drawings.
• Participate in meetings as required: i.e., Weekly Project Meetings.
• Proactive about learning new information and skills.
• Seek feedback and actively apply it.
• Able to receive limited instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignment from more experienced designer.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Communicates effectively verbally and in writing. Present ideas clearly and in professional manner.
• Participates in team environment effectively. Accepts direction from the team. Individually contributes to success of the team.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Follows through on commitments made to internal and external customers.
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities with set expectations and meet deadlines.
• Entry to Intermediate AutoCAD skills.
Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, SmartPlant), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems. Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
Pursuing Associate/Bachelor’s degree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design or related degree
May travel to a project site for tour.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.