University of Kansas Work Study Student Assistant - Moore Reading Room in Lawrence, Kansas
The Moore Reading Room, the library of the KU Religious Studies Department, seeks a student assistant to provide customer and circulation service in the Moore Reading Room and to assist with a variety of library projects. This position requires the student to be Federal Work Study eligible.
- Provide helpful and friendly assistance to library users in a variety of ways including in-person, by telephone, and by email.
- Answer library user questions and provide general information, directional guidance, and referrals to university sources, using appropriate library resources and the Internet.
- Perform office support functions for Religious Studies faculty and staff, particularly scanning and copying.
- Perform a variety of circulation duties including checking out and returning books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- Perform a variety of collection maintenance duties including shelving and lifting.
- Assist users with and maintain library equipment.
- Work independently of supervision when necessary.
- Strong commitment to providing excellent customer service to library users.
- Must be reliable and able to maintain a weekly schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently following written and verbal instructions as evidenced by application materials.
- Great attention to detail and accuracy as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience with computers, scanners, and software applications such as Word, Excel, and Photoshop.
- Well-developed research skills, including knowledge of library online catalog, database, and web searching.
- Must be Federal Work Study eligible.
- Must have Tuesday/Thursday availability for Spring 2020.
- During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in the upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students (Exceptions granted for GTA/GRA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).
- Previous library experience.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification system.
- Experience interacting with the public via phone and in-person
Contact Information to Applicants
Patricia Cecil 109 Smith Hall 785-864-4341 firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application includes a cover letter and a resume or CV. Apply online and attach a letter describing your qualifications for this position as well as the hours you would be available to work for the spring 2020 semester. Only complete applications will be considered.
10-20 hours per week. Must have Tuesday and Thursday availability between 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Advertised Salary Range: $9.50/hour
Application Review Begins: 06-Jan-2020
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
Anticipated Start Date: 21-Jan-2020