University of Kansas TRIO Academic Advisor in Lawrence, Kansas
TRIO Educational Opportunity Centers is a federally funded access program and works with teens and adults in Leavenworth County. Program participants are generally from low-income and are first-generation college students. The Academic Advisor will be responsible for recruiting potential participants, have knowledge of the financial aid process including the FAFSA, college admissions applications, career and academic advising. Additionally, the Academic Advisor will coordinate and engage with community partners and schools to successfully meet the objectives of TRIO EOC. Experience in education, counseling and providing college admissions information and financial aid options and knowledge of TRIO. The Academic Advisor will use independent judgement and discretion when organizing activities, meeting with community partners, and identifying techniques to reach the target population. The goal of the TRIO EOC is to raise the number of adult participants enrolling in accredited post-secondary school. One thousand participants are served each year. This position is contingent on funding.
- Coordinate, design, implement and participate in all aspects of the program activities and services that strengthen the adult learner’s development that is related to successful school completion and post-secondary entry/re-entry, including developing programming and directing center participation in identified community events
- Provide 1:1 and group advising for the FAFSA and FSA ID, academic, career, college guidance assistance to participants in Leavenworth County
- Conduct workshops and presentations to participating schools and community partners using independent judgement and discretion on the scheduling, topics, and format
- Work with guidance counselors and community members familiar with potential participants who may not have a GED
- Actively participate in the development of EOC literature and distribute in target areas
- Establish and maintain contacts with community partners 30% -
- Monitor student participation and ensure program goals and objectives are being met
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate records and documentation regarding participant
- Compile and analyze data, prepare/submit reports in a timely manner to Director, and assist with all required reports, including the Annual Performance (APR) for the US Department of Education
- Provide continual program evaluation and conduct on-going assessment of program needs and makes necessary modifications
- Coordinate college visits on a recurrent basis
- Acts as spokesperson for project in working with public agencies, civic organizations and local businesses in publicizing to the target community 15% -
- Network and work with professional staff from KU-EOC
- Attend local, state, regional and national conferences
- Participate in the Center for Educational Opportunity Programs (CEOP) quarterly meetings and events 5% -
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director
- Bachelor’s degree in education, and one year experience counseling or related field at time of appointment.
- Experience working with target population in coordinating and implementing advising meetings, workshops/presentations and/or programming.
- Knowledge of the college application and financial aid processes, the FAFSA, Financial Literacy and other relevant educational resources.
- Demonstrated experience exercising basic human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with the target participants, community partners, university community and the public.
- Master’s degree in student personnel, higher education, counseling or related field.
- Two years of experience working with target population.
- Works independently to organize, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and follow through on details to completion as evidenced by application materials
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer application skills (i.e., Microsoft Office applications/software, internet research, email).
- Strong oral and written communication, including experience with design and delivery of presentations to a variety of audiences, as evidenced by application materials.
- Knowledge of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Prior experience working with TRIO or similar programs.
- Demonstrated sensitivity and experience working with students and/or individuals from diverse social, economic, academic, and cultural backgrounds
Contact Information to Applicants
Eric Patterson, email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application includes an online application, cover letter, resume highlighting pertinent experience relative to the required and preferred qualifications and contact information for three professional references. Only complete applications will be considered.
Application deadline is June 28, 2018.
Professional Hours/40 hours, occasional evening
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Advertised Salary Range: $36,710-$40.000
Application Review Begins: 23-Jun-2018
Work Location: Outside KS/MO not listed
FLSA Status: Administrative
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Conditions of Employment: Contingent on Funding
Anticipated Start Date: 16-Jul-2018
Job Family: Advising,Career&StudentSrv-KUL;