University of Kansas POOL: Student Hourly - Research Assistant in Lawrence, Kansas
Research assistants are needed to assist with a stream stabilization research project. Assistants will conduct surveys on the Neosho and Cottonwood Rivers near Emporia, Kansas; enter survey data into ArcGIS and/or CAD software; and analyze data to evaluate trends in stream bed and bank erosion.
- Must be a student enrolled in a minimum of required hours specified below at the University of Kansas pursuing a degree in CEAE, geology, geography, environmental studies, or related field.
- History of working well independently and as part of a team (as evidenced by experience and/or interview).
- Willingness to work outdoors to conduct fieldwork.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer, and must be available for full-day survey trips. **During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).
- Experience with GPS and total station survey equipment.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, ArcGIS, and AutoCAD.
Contact Information to Applicants
Dr. Bryan Young firstname.lastname@example.org
20-40 hours per week during the summer; 5-15 per week during Spring and Fall
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Application Review Begins: 21-Apr-2018
Work Location: Lawrence
Anticipated Start Date: 14-May-2018