University of Kansas POOL - Language and Culture Liaison in Lawrence, Kansas
The Language and Culture Liaisons lead daily English-language conversation groups, lead and organize student activities, and may work reception in the Applied English Center office. There can be individual flexibility in the distribution of these tasks. Conversation groups and activities are meant to improve our students’ command of spoken English and help integrate them into university and community life. Language & Culture Liaisons may accompany students to on-campus activities, as well conduct off-campus activities. Serving as a receptionist in the Applied English Center office involves answering the phone and interacting with incoming visitors, primarily Applied English Center students, but also faculty and staff. Language & Culture Liaisons may also be needed to help with Orientation, proctoring exams, and acting as an advocate for the Applied English Center. This position does not require teaching, grading or materials preparation.
- Must have high level of English proficiency, as evidenced by application materials.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as evidenced by application materials.
- Sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student.
- Must be involved with a community or campus club, as evidenced by application materials.
- Not enrolled in AEC courses.
- Experience working with international students, as evidenced by application materials.
- Demonstrated experience giving instructions and explaining details.
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse population in a patient and helpful manner.
- Prompt and dependable.
- Demonstrate initiative and independence as evidenced by application materials.
- Possess an openness toward other cultures.
- Possess cross-cultural communication skills.
- Travel or residency abroad.
- Clear, unaffected speech.
- Awarded and Accepted a FWS award
- Prior customer service experience
Contact Information to Applicants
Jacque Manicki, email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
Please include a resume, cover letter addressing how you meet the required qualifications and three references. Applications without a resume or cover letter will not be considered.
5-15 hours per week Sunday to Saturday.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policiesprocedures/categorydetails/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY
Advertised Salary Range: $8.25 per hour.
Application Review Begins: 21-Jan-2019
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
Anticipated Start Date: 28-Jan-2019