University of Kansas ***INTERNAL ONLY*** Director/Professor in Lawrence, Kansas
INTERNAL ONLY This internal search is for the Director for the Jewish Studies Program.
The director position serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, and will be a limited term through 6/30/2024.
Chairperson/Director (0.50 FTE)
- Provides oversight and leadership for all unit activities, including convening regular meetings of JS faculty, staff, and student representatives.
- Administers the undergraduate and graduate academic programs of the unit.
- Reviews and modifies in consultation with the unit’s Advisory Committee and affiliated faculty the long‐range planning for the unit.
- Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters.
- Supervises and reviews the unit’s faculty and professional, academic, and University support staff.
- Seeks enhancement of all unit resources by actively seeking external funding.
- Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the unit and other units across the College and University, as well as with agencies outside the University, governmental, public, or private.
- Develops long‐term planning for future leadership by cultivating future faculty members and mentoring junior faculty members.
- Executes College and University policy in the unit effectively.
- Represents the unit and reports to CLAS, and represents the unit to other University entities.
Faculty Duties (0.50 FTE)
20% - Teaching/Advising
- Teach courses in his/her field of specialty.
- Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings.
- Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
- Serve on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
20% - Research
- Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer‐reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
10% - Service
- Provide general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and to the profession.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application and (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in c.v..
- Tenured appointment in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an academic leader and team builder, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the unit and its affiliated units, as evidenced by application materials.
- Teaching experience in Jewish Studies or a related field, and commitment to teaching excellence.
- Strong record of scholarly achievement in Jewish Studies or a related field, as evidenced by an established program of research with the promise of continued productivity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations, as evidenced by application materials.
- Demonstrated excellence in administrative and management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary and international studies in teaching, research, and service.
- Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
- Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects.
Contact Information to Applicants
Molly Zahn email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
INTERNAL ONLY for University of Kansas Employees:
A complete online application includes the following materials: 1. A Cover Letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the position, 2. A current C.V., 3. The names of three professional references, including email addresses.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on January 21, 2019. Please apply before this date.
Only complete application packages submitted online will be considered. In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant’s contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU’s mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following questions at the time of application. Each response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
- Please describe your experience, approach or methodologies to create and implement inclusive teaching and advising practices, pedagogical techniques and course materials to create an inclusive classroom environment.
- In your current and/or previous role, please provide an example outlining how you demonstrate your ongoing commitment in working with diverse groups/populations.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Application Review Begins: 21-Jan-2019
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
Employee Class: F-Faculty
Conditions of Employment: Serve at the Pleasure
Anticipated Start Date: 01-Jul-2019
Position Number: 00064985