University of Kansas Data Modeler/ETL Developer in Lawrence, Kansas
The Business Intelligence Center (BIC) at the University of Kansas brings analytical and technical staff together to rapidly make progress in data warehousing and business intelligence. The BIC is charged with modeling university’s data and supporting BI toolsets that empower campus users to make data-driven decisions in a self-service fashion. Finally, the BIC also has a leadership role in university data governance. Extract, Transform, & Load (ETL) Developers work closely with BI Analysts and the Data Architect to extract data from source systems, transform data as necessary, and ultimately load data into the university’s Data Warehouse. These extracts must be modeled into dimension and fact tables (i.e. STAR Schema) that ultimately support end user requirements. The developer will also monitor daily jobs to ensure they were successful and troubleshoot any issues that arise from jobs failing, loading data incorrectly, etc.
- Develop and maintain ETL processes and/or SQL queries from various source systems.
- Assist the Data Architect with developing a Dimensional Fact Model (i.e. STAR Schema) for the various modules and subject areas of the university’s data.
- Work on the design and implementation of data integrations.
- Develop and maintain the automation of data flowing into and out of the source systems.
- Work on web services to extract data from various source systems.
- Work with BI analysts, functional users, and data scientists to develop and further enhance data models.
- Participate in an Agile environment and complete assigned sprint tasks.
- Adhere to basic development principles (e.g. change control, separation of duties, etc.)
- Provide feedback from a technical perspective on requirements documents. Additionally, create technical design document with data flows, process models, etc. to help document the technical approach to meeting end user needs.
Application/Integration Support (20%)
- Support a complex Data Integration environment.
- Assist with ETL Application Tool/Server system and database upgrades/maintenance.
- Work with the Network Operations Center (NOC) to ensure extract jobs are monitored.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise (e.g. failed jobs, data errors, etc.).
- Assist with Modeling and BI Tool/Server upgrades.
Testing and Validation (15%)
- Determining data sourcing strategies and data validation approaches.
- Defining test conditions and test scripts to ensure system stability and validity.
- Develop and maintain audit and validation processes and work with other team members to resolve data integrity issues.
Other projects as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science/Engineering, Information Technology, Business Analytics, or Business with a focus in Business Analytics.
- 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- At least two years of experience with an enterprise ETL tool (e.g. Informatica, Oracle Data Integrator, etc.)
- Advanced SQL skills.
- Knowledge of data modeling.
- Demonstrated experience in testing and debugging techniques.
- Exceptional time management skills, including the ability to adapt quickly to shifting priorities.
- University experience.
- Experience with and passion for working in an agile team environment.
- Experience with developing Essbase applications.
- Experience with implementing web services.
- Experience working with databases.
- BI and/or data warehousing experience.
Contact Information to Applicants
Prasanna Tadimeti , prasanna @ku.edu
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Please use your cover letter to address how you meet the required and preferred qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. An online University of Kansas application must be completed to be considered for this position.
The review of applications has been extended to January 21, 2019. This position will remain open until filled.
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at
http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policiesprocedures/categorydetails/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
Application Review Begins: 21-Jan-2019
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
FLSA Status: Administrative (Salaried)
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Anticipated Start Date: 11-Feb-2019
Job Family: Administrative/Management-KUL