University of Kansas Assistant Director of Undergraduate Biology (AD-UB) in Lawrence, Kansas
The Assistant Director of Undergraduate Biology has primary responsibilities associated with; 1) undergraduate biology student advising and supervision of advising activities, 2) providing specialized undergraduate biology student services, and 3) ensuring timely and effective course scheduling for Undergraduate Biology and the Departments of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Molecular Biosciences.
The Director of UB Operations supervises this position. The AD-UB will also assist the Directors with responsibilities associated with the development and management of undergraduate degree programs. The AD-UB will assist UB Directors in developing yearly goals and projects to enhance the function of UB in serving students and faculty.
50% Assist, Supervise, and Coordinate Advising Activities in Undergraduate Biology
- Provide direct advising for undergraduate students
- Supervise the activities and effectiveness of UB staff advisors
- Serve as UB liaison to CASS and UAC to ensure effective communication and compliance with current policies and activities
- Communicate advising updates and notices through various digital mechanisms (emails, websites, social media, etc.)
- Supervise UB staff, as appropriate
- Provide recommendations and support for advising improvements or necessary changes
- Serve as a resource and support for faculty advising activities
25% Provide Support for Specialized Student Services
- Supervise the evaluation of transfer and pre-college credits
- Perform and approve degree audits and degree certification sheets
- Mediate student grievances and academic misconduct charges
- Evaluate study abroad course equivalencies
- Manage waiting lists and permission numbers for various courses and situations
15% Assist with Course Scheduling and Degree Updates
- Coordinate with Director of UB Operations and Departmental Chairpersons to obtain semester course offerings and associated information for class scheduling
- Assist with scheduling conflict mediations
- Assist with appropriate submission of course and degree updates
Develop recommendations for keeping degree requirements current and meeting needs of students, faculty and departments, and programs 10% Undergraduate Biology Service
Coordinate Career Night and Graduate Recognition Ceremony
- Serve on Awards and Scholarship committees
- Occasionally represent UB at special events
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree with experience in effective mentoring and constructive academic advising of college students.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, as evidenced in the application materials.
- Demonstrated experience with complex web-based software, as evidenced in the application materials.
- Degree in Biological Sciences or related fields.
- Experience in coordinating schedules, events, and logistical detail.
- Experience in gathering data and developing possible solutions and applications.
- Multiple years of experience in student advising/mentoring at the college level
- Ph.D. with multiple years of experience related to this position (position would include leading initiatives to secure external funding).
Contact Information to Applicants
Scott Hefty; email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
Complete online application includes: Cover Letter, CV, and contact information (email included) for three professional references.
Initial review of applications will begin May 4th and continue as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policiesprocedures/categorydetails/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY
Advertised Salary Range: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Application Review Begins: 04-May-2018
Work Location: Lawrence
FLSA Status: Administrative
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Anticipated Start Date: 22-May-2018
Job Family: EducationalSuport&Delivery-KUL;