University of Kansas Assistant Area Director in Lawrence, Kansas
This position is responsible for instruction at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels and is responsible for serving as the Assistant Area Director (AAD) within the corresponding academic area. Position is a non-tenure track faculty, academic year (9-month) appointment, beginning January 1, 2019. Appointment will be a minimum of .75 FTE, although 1.0 FTE is preferred. The AAD reports directly to the corresponding Area Director.
This will be considered a three-year appointment, depending upon performance, renewable indefinitely and subject to the same terms that govern non-tenure track faculty appointments, evaluation, merit, etc. Given mid academic year start date, the initial appointment will be for 3 ½ years.
The AAD must remain in good standing as a Lecturer. The AAD portion of this position is considered serve at the pleasure of the Dean. Specifically, if the AAD’s underlying lecturer appointment is terminated, the lecturer will cease to be the AAD as well. However, being removed or choosing to step down from the AAD role, will not necessarily impact the underlying lecturer appointment.
The AAD may not have any other concurrent administrative appointments and is not, other than in unusual circumstances approved by the Dean, eligible for overload teaching or other non-teaching assignments during the 9-month AAD appointment period. Candidates with existing administrative appointments may apply but their existing administrative duties will need to be re-assigned if they are selected to serve as AAD.
- For 1.0 FTE: Teach minimum of six (6) required or elective courses, each academic year in the corresponding academic area. For .75 FTE: Teach minimum of four (4) required or elective courses, each academic year in the corresponding academic area. Teaching assignments may include undergraduate and/or graduate courses offered by the School of Business on the Lawrence and/or Edwards Campus. The Business School reserves the right to modify instructors course loads based on current needs of the School.
- Teaching responsibilities include but are not limited to: course preparation, student consultations, classroom instruction and assignment of course grades.
- Lecturers serve as participating members of departments and should engage in instruction-related activities beyond direct instruction. Examples include curriculum development committees, course improvement initiatives, and advising.
- Lecturers should abide by the area's, School's and University's policies and procedures.
25% - Assistant Area Director – Assist Area Director with academic administrative functions within the corresponding academic area, including but not limited to:
- Oversee all course and room scheduling for the academic Area and coordinate the Area’s course offerings with the other academic Areas/Programs within the School of Business.
- Review and approve/decline transfer credit requests.
- Act as a representative of the Area/School on the curriculum committee.
- Process the establishment of new courses and course modifications within the Area, working with the Area Director and Registrar’s office.
- Update the School’s/University’s course catalogs as appropriate with new courses and revised course information.
- Acquire and process semester-end faculty ratios for AoL and AACSB reporting (coordinate with Administrative Associate assigned AACSB responsibilities).
- Work with the Area’s Administrative Associates and HR to appoint and oversee graduate research and teaching assistant requests and scheduling.
- Respond to and provide initial guidance regarding student complaints.
- Assist Area Director in responding to issues related to the Area’s teaching function.
- Other duties as assigned by the Area Director, within the scope of this role.
5% - Service – All Lecturers are expected to engage in school, university, and professional service activities as needed.
- Must have an existing, non-tenure track faculty appointment, at KU School of Business within the corresponding academic Area.
- A Master's degree in major field of study within the Area, or a Bachelor's Degree with the appropriate HLC experience guidelines established by School.
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels.
- Terminal degree in major field of study.
- Demonstrated excellence in academic administrative tasks (or potential for excellence) as shown through application materials.'
- Dedication or commitment to KU School of Business as demonstrated by work record.
Contact Information to Applicants
Jordan Yochim, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will include an on-line application, a current CV/resume and a cover letter.
Application deadline will be midnight on November 21, 2018.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Advertised Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Application Review Begins: 22-Nov-2018
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
FTE: .75 or 1.0
Employee Class: F-Faculty
Conditions of Employment: Limited Term
Anticipated Start Date: 01-Jan-2019
Position Number: 01200075