Sonic Drive-In Assistant General Manager in Galena, Kansas
Job Title: Assistant General Manager
Position Reports to: General Manager
Job Description: Manages and leads all aspects of the business (People, Operations, Profits and Sales) in conjunction with the General Manager. Assists the General Manager with staffing, training, coaching and development of crew; providing quality food in a clean, safe and positive environment and delivering operational consistency and a great guest and employee experience. This role should be well-versed in all areas of the restaurant and on all 5 day parts. This role is expected to work a schedule of 45+ hours per week.
This position oversees drive-in operations in the absence of the General Manager and serves as the manager on duty when scheduled.
People (Time Spent 25%)
• Assists with onboarding, training, development and performance appraisals for crew members and adapts training/coaching methods to accelerate learning
• Provides recognition to crew members; assists in executing employee engagement action plans and enhances the culture of the drive-in
• Works with General Manager to interview and hire crew members
• Resolves employee concerns with the assistance of the General Manager and regularly observes Crew to evaluate performance
Operations (Time Spent 45%)
• Forecasts, schedules and proactively manages labor.
• Directs and assigns work to crew members, ensuring all aspects of service standards are delivered
• Enforces food safety compliance and maintains required record keeping.
• Resolves guest requests and concerns.
• Cash handling responsibility to include petty cash accountability, carhop balancing and deposit preparation/transport.
• Completes cash pulls, bank runs and deposits
Profit & Sales (Time Spent 30%)
• Helps control food and paper costs by adhering to inventory management best practices and training and coaching crew members to prepare and package food to standard.
• Reviews monthly Profit and Loss statement with the General Manager.
• Researches community assets to drive new business potential.
• Breaks down Drive-In goals into appropriate actions
Education and Work Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred but not required
• 1-2 Years of restaurant management experience (QSR preferred), leading shifts without supervision
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have flexible availability to include peak shifts, nights, weekends and holidays
• Strong leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and lead a team
• A team player, willing to meet and exceed drive-in goals and objectives
• Professional individual, who values people and demonstrates respect for others
• Friendly and smiling faces that enjoy providing courteous service to our guests
• Leadership and supervisory practices and skills; effective verbal and written communication skills
• Problem solving, decision-making and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to multi-task, follow directions and lead with autonomy once given directions
• Able to proficiently utilize computer and technology platforms as required by the SRI policies.
• Ability to have Difficult Conversations in an ever-changing environment.
• Time management, organizational and basic accounting and computer skills
• Knowledge and experience with recruiting, interviewing and selection practices
• Complies with Sonic Drive-in policies, procedures and all federal and state laws and regulation
• Lives and breathes Sonic’s core values
• Leadership and supervisory skills that align with Sonic’s Leadership Framework:
o Develop Selves and Others: Builds diverse, high-performing teams and makes personal development a priority.
o Live the Brand: Allows brand passion to influence work every day.
o Innovate: Brings fresh ideas, drives a culture of continuous improvement.
o Bring Their A-Game: Pushes self and helps others to achieve results. Takes pride in work.
o Act Like an Owner: Makes decisions that positively impact Sonic.
o Demonstrates Integrity: Shows consistency between words and actions.
o R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Creates an open and honest environment, attracting customers and talent to the business.
o Culture of Engagement: Creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale.
o Customer Obsessed: Anticipates customer needs and takes actions to exceed them every time.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will continuously be standing, moving, bending, stooping, reaching, stretching and lifting. This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more.
Work Environment: Frequent exposure to heat and hot liquid shortening while cooking; frequent exposure to freezer when stocking food items; occasional exposure to extreme temperatures based on variable weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
Additional Assistant General Manager Requirements:
●High school diploma or equivalent required. Advanced studies in business, restaurant management or related fields are preferred
●Minimum of two (2) years of restaurant management experience (QSR preferred), experience running shifts without supervision
●Required to work a minimum 5 day workweek with 4 closing shifts (or 4 day workweek guaranteed) including irregular hours, nights, weekends and holidays
●Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing and selection practices
●Knowledge of federal and state labor laws as well as local health and sanitation laws and regulations
●Leadership and supervisory practices and skills; effective verbal and written communication skills
●Basic accounting and computer skills
●Ability to follow directions and work with autonomy once given directions; ability to multi-task and successfully solve problems
●Problem solving, decision-making and conflict-resolution skills
●Willingness to abide by the appearance, uniform and hygiene standards at SONIC