Kansas Employer Math Department Head in Derby, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12738998
Purpose: The department chair provides instructional leadership and enhances delivery regarding curriculum alignment with standards, the development and implementation of common assessments, and the use of effective instructional strategies that will most appropriately meet the needs of students. The duties of the department chair are critical to the overall educational program of the school and require effective and ongoing communication and collaboration with staff and administration.
- Be available to parents, students, administration, and colleagues outside the school day when needed.
- Develop and use community and professional resources to support professional learning and educator growth, and recommend professional development topics based on implementation feedback from educators .
- Chair all department meetings.
- Serve as a consultant to teachers within his/her department and principals district wide.
- Provide leadership to department committees for new curriculum adoptions and recommend supplementary materials for his/her department. Inventory textbooks and equipment as needed by the administration.
- Be knowledgeable in new trends and developments within his/her departmental content area and recommend pilot or experimental programs for consideration.
- Recommend and/or provide in-service training programs and reinforcing strategy implementation support for his/her department when needed. Attend or facilitate those programs as the leader of the department.
- Assist new teachers in methodology, technique, materials, or any other function needed to enhance the new teachers ability to be successful.
- Provide the leadership for developing curriculum for his/her department.
- The department chairperson will work with middle school department chairpersons and elementary teachers to coordinate the curriculum throughout the district.
- Select people for any advisory committees necessary for his/her department. Make sure that the advisory committees meet when necessary.
- Complete or assist with all surveys, forms, and state reports that are required of his/her department by local administrators or the Public Education Department.
- As requested by the building administration assist members of the department that might need assistance in classroom management, development of lessons, or any other area related to classroom teaching. Conference with the teacher and make constructive recommendations.
- Administer the budget and resources if allocated to the department.
- Review requests for new equipment, instructional materials and supplies for the department. When requests are appropriate, submit request following district procedures and place the order following purchasing protocol.
- Represent the department as necessary for evaluation cycles by the accreditation agency.
- Make recommendations for high school master schedule.
- Attend, or select another department member to attend, conferences that the high school principal or central office administration believes would be beneficial for a department member to attend.
- Attend department chairperson meetings called by the high school administration or central office administration.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of data of multiple forms.
- Monitor the curriculum that is being taught in the classroom by the department members. Plan follow up conversations during department meetings to check-in on implementation, and gather data and feedback on additional information, resources or refinements that may be needed.
- Work with all principals an counselors to ensure the department runs smoothly.
- Present to the Board of Education or central administration as requested by the administration.
- Assist and or coordinate local, state or federal assessments.
- Assist or provide input on use of paraprofessionals or human resources within the department.
- Adhere to all district health and safety policies.
- Others duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator, which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of the position.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Accurately demonstrate knowledge of the content area and approved curriculum.
- Manage department in a manner that promotes positive and productive relationships between colleagues, students, parents and community.
- Demonstrate a willingness to examine and implement change necessary to produce efficient and effective systems and increase student achievement.
- Follow board polices and administrative rules and regulations.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods.
Occasionally requires the ability to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects.
Occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend and reach.
Must be a